• Robert A. Long’s planned city,

    Longview, Wash.

    In the summer of 1933, my father was asked to establish a local hospital, with an associated medical service bureau, in the unused railroad station in Longview, Wash., a city on the Columbia River about 150 miles south of Seattle.

  • In Seattle I commenced delivering the Seattle Times on Route 74, not far from home. I replaced a carrier who had been fired. Understandably, in showing me the route, he was not very encouraging, describing one section as the Dismal Swamp.

    I picked up my papers from a shack on Fremont Avenue, a mile from my route, and carried them fore and aft in a carrier’s bag. They weighed more than fifty pounds on Sundays when the paper had more ads.

    Silver Dollars – “hard” money

  • In 1927, the year of Lindbergh’s epic flight across the Atlantic, when I was eleven, a bully confronted me at school. Dad promptly signed me up with Billy Rath, a Bellingham physical instructor, to learn how to defend myself. Rath spent a couple of minutes showing me how to box and then walked away, leaving me shadow boxing. He then gave me a quick alcohol rub down. So much for my boxing instruction!

    In the buff in a YMCA pool

  • Bellingham, Washington

    In 1923 my family moved to Bellingham, Wash., living first at 704 Garden Street.

    My best friend was Jack Carver whose home was separated from ours by that of Captain Humphries, who, we understood, in his early years had sailed the Pacific. We used to cross Captain Humphries’ yard to play in each other’s yards.

    Jack’s father, Coston Carver, long-serving editor of the Bellingham Herald, was a quiet man of considerable intellect and talent.

  • Having passed Milestone 102, I am inclined to follow the example of Lee Meriwether (1862-1966), cousin, friend, world traveler and prolific writer, whose last book, “My First 103 Years,” was in process of publication at the time of his death.

    Lee Meriwether, whom my late wife Susanne and I had known well, had been a close friend of Susanne’s mother, Marquise Susanne de Charette, her grandmother, Sue T. Henning, and her great grandmother, Bettie Allen Meriwether, of Allen Dale Farm.

  • Mobilization

    Following Britain’s entry into the war in September 1939, mobilization of our armed forces picked up momentum, even though the mood of the country favored neutrality.

    At that time I was serving in Company D, 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment (called 6th Marines) at the Marine Corps Base, San Diego. Company D was an infantry heavy weapons company consisting of three machine gun platoons and an 81mm mortar platoon.

    Marine reserves measure up

  • Gotemba Trail

    We departed Station 2.5 on foot at about 12:30 p.m., and headed up the Gotemba Trail.

    The current Mt. Fuji website describes this trail:

  • The ultimate scholarship

    Upon graduation from the University of Washington in June 1937, as the Honor Graduate of my ROTC class, I was offered a commission as 2nd Lieutenant in the Regular U.S. Marine Corps. This I accepted with enthusiasm.

    With a modicum of hyperbole, it could have been described as the ultimate scholarship: a 30-year career in the Marine Corps. However, it imposed accompanying commitments: Duty, Honor, Country!

  • In my new assignment as Commanding General (Forward) and Deputy Commander, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific, I may have carried an impressive title, but it was less significant than appeared. I was Lt. Gen. Victor H. (Brute) Krulak’s man at the Okinawa Marine Logistics Base, which supported the Vietnam War.

    My task was to coordinate this support and trouble-shoot logistic problems under his supervision from his headquarters, over 4,500 miles away in Honolulu.

  • On July 1, 1965 Susanne and I gave a dinner party in honor of Millard and Marguerite Cox of Louisville. Attorney Millard Cox, a Kentucky racing commissioner, had invited us to the Kentucky Derby, held only two months earlier. The Cox’s were visiting San Diego to say farewell to their son, Second Lieutenant Millard Cox III, US Marine Corps, who was being deployed to Vietnam.

  • A remarkable Kentucky character,

    Colonel George Morgan Chinn (1902-1987)

    While visiting my Marine Corps Reserve unit in Frankfort, Kentucky, I met a remarkable individual, Colonel George Morgan Chinn, U. S. Marine Corps Reserve. I was impressed to learn that he was the author of the Encyclopedia Britannica’s entries for both “Daniel Boone” and “Machine guns.” He was a nationally prominent designer and inventor of military weapons, especially machine guns.

  • In this duty assignment in Philadelphia, I had command over the reserve units and recruitment stations in the states of Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware.

    Marine Corps Headquarters, unaware as yet of my performance of duty as Chief of Staff of the 2nd Marine Division at Camp Lejeune a month before, would have considered it unlikely that I would be promoted and that this would be my final duty station before retirement.

  • In the summer of 1958, upon completion of my instruction at the Canadian National Defence College in Kingston, Ontario, I took my family to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, where I reported for duty to the Major General Commanding the 2nd Marine Division.

    At that time, the division consisted of three infantry regiments, an artillery battalion, and other supporting units, trained to spearhead amphibious landings. It had a strength of about 18,000 officers and men.

  • A classmate at the Canadian National Defence College in Kingston, Ontario during 1957-58 was John Killick of the British Foreign Service. Intelligent, informal, with a ready wit and a guitar at the ready, he was the most accomplished and popular member of our class.

    It was generally known that he had been a parachutist in World War II, but little was known about the nature of his service. Now this information is readily available on the all-encompassing Internet.

    Operation “Market Garden”

    – September 17-25, 1944

  • We then proceeded to Newton, also in Cambridgeshire, England, to visit Winifred (Win) Peacock, my father Reginald Bareham’s sister.

    I formed an immediate liking for Win with whom I felt a feeling of common interest. She was moat gracious, appeared to be in good health and spirits. She and her husband Cliff Peacock showed me around Newton, introducing me to all the relatives within that area.

  • London

    I arrived in London by air from Dinard, Brittany on May 18, 1958. It looked clean, orderly and green from the air. Susanne, who had to return to Paris to catch her scheduled flight, met me the following day. We found comfortable accommodations at a reasonable price, just north of Pall Mall in central London.

  • La Maison de Charette de la Contrie

    I have written extensively about the distinguished family Charette de la Contrie, revered in France not for their titles but for their heroic leadership in combat against overwhelming odds.

  • After visiting my father’s grave on May 11, 1958, my wife and I returned to Paris to meet Susanne’s good friend, whom she had not seen since leaving France many years before.

    Guillemette Dunoyer de Segonzac had attended a private girl’s school in Paris with my French-born wife, then Susanne de Charette.

  • Berlin and Mayor Brandt

    From Bonn, the de facto capital of the Federal Republic of Germany, we were flown into West Berlin, then an Allied portion of a divided city. West Berlin was separated by 100 miles from the eastern border of West Germany and only accessible by land by narrow rail and highway corridors. It consisted of the American, British, and French occupation sectors established in 1945. It was, however, a de facto part of West Germany. At the same time, East Berlin, occupied and administered by the Soviet Union, was the de facto capital of East Germany.

  • All Saints Catholic

    Mass is at 8 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. on Sunday. All are welcome to attend. Located at 410 Main St., Taylorsville.


    Allen Chapel United Methodist

    Services are at 9:30 a.m. Sunday. Located on KY 55 in Finchville. The Rev. Robert Raglin is the pastor.


    Bagdad Baptist