.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Fire destroys home near Simpsonville

    A fire that may have started in a chimney destroyed a home at 573 Henry Smith Road near Simpsonville Tuesday. A tenant, Jessica Barnett, was home at the time the fire started, but she was not injured.

    Firefighters from Simpsonville, Shelby County and Eastwood fire departments fought the blaze. The fire was in the walls of the building when firefighters arrived on the scene just after 11 a.m. Tuesday, Simpsonville Fire Chief Walter Jones said.

  • Preliminary tests point to staph bacteria at Claudia Sanders

    The North Central Health District reported that preliminary tests indicate a common staph bacteria may have resulted in the 115 reported cases of illness from individuals who had eaten at Claudia Sanders restaurant Easter Sunday.

    The district stressed the findings were not definitive. Staphylococcus aureus, a bacteria commonly found on food and on the human body, was found in some samples provided by victims but not from all, the district said.

  • Woman sentenced in poisoning case

    A babysitter who was accused of trying to poison the family she was caring for was sentenced to a four-year sentence with five years diversion last week.

  • Alternative fuel company may locate here

    Louisville Clean Energy, a company that produces electricity, biodiesel, ethanol and natural gas - all without the use of fossil fuels - may locate in Shelby County.

    On Thursday, the company received preliminary approval for tax credits from the Kentuckiana Regional Planning and Development Association (KIPDA). The money comes through the Kentucky Energy Independence Act, which encourages the growth of alternative fuel companies.

    Louisville Clean Energy President Bill Bivins said he expects to gain final approval from KIPDA for the funds.

  • Claudia Sanders still closed

    The North Central Health District said that it has determined that 100 people fell ill after eating at Claudia Sanders Dinner House on Easter Sunday, but it has not found what made the people sick.

    Meanwhile the restaurant remains closed. Health district director Renee Blair confirmed that one man who ate at the restaurant died Tuesday night, but said there is no confirmed correlation between his eating at the restaurant and his death.

    Read the entire story in Friday's Sentinel-News.

  • Miller named Republican chair

    The Shelby County Republican Party came under new leadership recently when a local caucus elected a man who has been a Republican for only eight years as their chair.

    Steve Miller said after a week and a half as the party's chairman he is enjoying the job and the opportunity to serve Shelby County.

    Miller, 58, won the county caucus on March 15 and replaces Charles Bates as head of the party.

    He said his major focus as chair will be working to keep good candidates in office and having a good relationship with the local representatives.

  • Woman killed in I-64 wreck

    A Simpsonville woman was killed Sunday morning after she hit another car head-on while traveling in the wrong direction on I-64.

    According to a sheriff's deputy's report, Helen Hulett, 83, was traveling east in the westbound lane of I-64 near the Simpsonville exit at about 11:30 a.m. Sunday. Her 1996 Ford Contour struck head-on a 2000 Buick driven by William Martin, 59, of Franklin, Ind. between mile markers 29 and 30. Hulett sustained multiple injuries, according to the report, and was flown by Life Net to University of Louisville Hospital. She died there about five hours later.

  • Earth Day '08

    There was farm equipment operating on Red Orchard Farm again Monday morning. But the workers were setting not tobacco but 5,000 native Kentucky trees.

    "We put them out in rows to make them easier to maintain," said Ben Lyle, with the Kentucky Division of Forestry. The division is partnering with Shelbyville/Shelby County Parks and Recreation to plant the seedlings.

  • Train derails near Waddy

    A Norfolk Southern train that derailed early Sunday morning may turn out to be a blessing for local farmers.

  • Health scare closes Claudia Sanders

    After 28 people reported becoming ill from food they ate at Claudia Sanders Dinner House on Easter Sunday, the county health department has asked the restaurant to close until they receive back tests that identify the organism responsible for causing the illnesses.

    North Central Public Health Director Renee Blair said the department is working with the restaurant to determine what has caused the illnesses.

    "We don't have any definitive results yet," she said. "We have gone out and quarantined all the food in the refrigerator that was left over from Sunday."