MY WORD: Check the facts on climate change

-A A +A

By Rudy M. Wiesemann

In his My Word, Rip Rinehart (“About those climate issues,” May 29) attempts to refute the facts of my article (“No need to save the planet,” May 1). References were included in my original submission but removed by the publisher, which is their prerogative. Mr. Rinehart’s major thrust was to attack the validity of sources not the facts themselves. Most of the major AGW climate skeptics are blacklisted from publishing in the monopolized peer review journals. One path to consensus is to exclude and personally attack anyone who doesn’t agree with your view. True climate scientists would not be at all interested in imposing government policy or taxes.

Also, an increase in CO2 levels did not cause the melting of the ice sheets 20,000 years ago. CO2 levels at the end of the last ice age were halfof what they are today, and the increase in CO2 occurs on average 800 years after warming. The reference for this would be a good homework exercise: http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/last_400k_yrs.html. And while you’re at it, here’s a test to take: http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/GlobWarmTest/start.html. This is from the website of a paleontological scientist in West Virginia. Here’s a link of those who agree and disagree with his conclusions: http://www.takeonit.com/expert/66.aspx.

Here’s the main fact: “Generally understood, but rarely publicized, is the fact that 95% of the greenhouse effect is due solely to natural water vapor (NOT CO2). Of the remaining 5%, only 0.2% to 0.3% of the greenhouse effect (depending on whose numbers you use) is due to emissions of carbon dioxide and other gases from human sources.” (source above).”

The rest of the refutation will have to wait for another venue. But one particular omission was to NOT respond to my major point: are humans, or are humans not, a part of the natural order, and thus subject to the same benevolent evolutionary constraints as we impose on the rest of creation?

And thank for mentioning in passing that the oceans, not humans, are the main point source of CO2 emissions. Finally, if you seriously want to impact human CO2 emissions, you need to start lobbying China and India, whose combined 2.4 billion people’s economies both individually surpass the U.S. as a point source of CO2 emissions.


Rudy M. Wiesemann lives in Shelbyville.