Missing Fisherville teen found safe

-A A +A

By Mallory Bilger

TAYLORSVILLE – A 15-year-old Fisherville teen who had been missing for more than two weeks has been found and is safe, his father confirmed Sunday evening.

Trey Rickner, 15, returned this weekend to the Louisville location from which he had disappeared on Dec. 7.

Trey's parents, Steve and Gina Rickner, contacted The Spencer Magnet last Wednesday to ask for help in spreading information about their missing son.

Steve Rickner said he contacted police in both Spencer and Jefferson counties but wasn't having any luck locating his son or finding information about his whereabouts.

Steve thought Trey might reach out to a Spencer County High School classmate via social media and hoped if that were the case, the classmate would share that information with the family.

The Magnetposted an article online Wednesday night and shared a link on its Facebook page. That article spread through shares and on Thursday word of Trey's disappearance got to the Center for Search and Investigations Kentucky for Missing Children group, which contacted Rickner and added a private investigator to the search team.

When Trey became aware of that, "he turned himself in," Steve said.

CFSI Kentucky for Missing Children posted information about Trey on its Facebook page several times throughout the weekend and got a group of volunteers together to canvass the area near Male High School in Louisville on Saturday.

"What [The Magnet] put online generated the first part of that," Steve said. "Then, they [CFSI Kentucky for Missing Children] put something on there, including that there was a private investigator. When he saw all that, he went back to where he left."

Rickner said his family appreciates all of the help from the community in bringing his son home.

"We're very thankful for all the help in getting him back," he said. "We just wanted to ensure his safety. Our thanks to the community and you [The Magnet] taking that on. That is what made the difference. Had we not done that, it just wouldn't have happened. We put flyers out [Saturday], but if we had stuck with a normal approach, it wouldn't have happened."