EARLIER: Shelby woman escapes by ‘the hand of God’

-A A +A

Natalie Mudd badly injured in crash on I-65

By Lisa King

“I tell you, only God could have saved her; everybody, even the EMTs, all said it was the hand of God.”

That’s the way Dave Hamlin, pastor of Shelby Christian Church, described a horrific accident near Elizabethtown on Monday afternoon from which Shelbyville insurance agent and church member Natalie Mudd escaped wit her life.

Mudd, 35, was among three people injured in a 6-vehicle pileup in Hardin County. A Goshen man had life-threatening injuries.

“She was hit by at least three different cars and ended up sandwiched in between two trucks,” Hamllin said. “When I got there, the paramedics were all saying people just don’t walk away from something like this alive.”

Kentucky State Police said that a tractor-trailer traveling southbound in the center lane hit a car, causing it to go airborne and overturn in the left-hand lane. The tractor-trailer then hit a Pontiac that in turn struck Mudd’s vehicle, a Ford van. Her van turned sideways in the center lane and was struck in the passenger side by the tractor-trailer, pushing it into a Volvo Tractor Trailer, and a Jeep Commander.

“She had to be cut out of the car,” Hamlin said.

Mudd was taken to the University of Louisville by ambulance, where she had surgery, Hamlin said.

“She was in surgery this morning [Tuesday], they were going to put a rod in her leg,” Hamlin said, adding that she is expecting to recover. “Everybody, me, her husband, Marcy, we all know that she was saved by a miracle straight from God.”

KSP investigators are still looking into the cause of the crash but have not yet identified the reason that Jerry D. Compton, 60, of Leitchfield lost control of his tractor-trailer, setting in motion the events in which Mudd was caught.

John R. Warner, 61, of Goshen, was airlifted to UofL, where he remains in critical condition. Mudd and Tanya R. Martz, 38, of Greensburg were both taken by ambulance to Hardin Memorial Hospital, and Mudd was later transported to UofL.

“I’m sure she has a long recovery ahead of her, but least she’s alive,” Hamlin said. “And you would not have thought anybody could have survived if you had seen that wreck.”