.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Claudia Sanders remains closed

    A total of 100 people have now been reported to have gotten ill from eating at Claudia Sanders Dinner House on Easter Sunday.

    As the investigation continues, Renee Blair, director of the North Central Health District, said the restaurant will remain closed until the cause of the illnesses is found.

    Currently, the only correlation between all of the victims is that they ate at Claudia Sanders that day. No specific food item has been identified, Blair said.

    The symptoms of the illnesses include severe abdominal cramps, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting.

  • Democrats hope to build momentum

    As the race for the Democratic presidential nomination drags on, the Shelby County Democratic Party is hoping political interest at the national level will translate to local involvement at their upcoming county convention.

    On April 5 the party will hold precinct conventions across the county in order to elect 99 precinct officers.

  • Plan created in case of dam failure

    A coalition of local elected officials and emergency personnel recently met to evaluate what they would do in the event that the Guist Creek Lake Dam were to break.

    Leaders from the Shelby County and Shelbyville governments along with various state and local emergency response agencies reviewed a draft action plan on March 21 that detailed the steps they should take in response to such a disaster.

  • 1993: How Sweet (Sixteen) it is; Rockets celebrate Eighth Region championship

    If anyone has an old photo that they would like to run with this column bring it and the information into The Sentinel-News office or e-mail it to the writer at sharonw@sentinelnews.com. We are also looking for mystery photos. If you have a picture you can't identify, send it in and we'll ask our readers for help.

    10 years ago, 1998

  • New business spotlight: New doc in town

    We are: Future Hope Pediatrics

    Owned by: Dr. Laura White. White has her medical degree from the University of Louisville and did pediatrics residency at Kosair Children's Hospital. She worked in Shelby County for one year before spending the last 10 years working with a pediatrics group in Louisville. She and her family live in Waddy.

    "We know the need is out here," White said. "When they can't build enough schools to keep up with the kids, that's good news for pediatricians."

  • Heritage to get parking project

    A five-year traffic headache will soon come to an end for parents and teachers at Heritage Elementary School.

    On March 20, the Shelby County Board of Education unanimously approved a construction plan that would give the school more parking and ensure that parents who are dropping off their children do not have to wait in line on U.S. 60 to get on to the school's campus.

    Principal Cindy Adkins was jubilant after the board made the decision.

    "I am so thrilled," she said. "It is just so needed"

  • Public decency shouldn't be taken for granted

    Social skills are important. One social skill that most people over the age of four have mastered is keeping their clothes on in public. Unfortunately, state lawmakers seem to be struggling with this idea. It's not that legislators have been convening in Frankfort in the buff, but they've got nothing to hide behind when it comes to passing a statewide public decency law.

  • March Madness or Jesus Madness?

    It's tournament time again and everyone is excited about their team. College basketball is a big favorite everywhere in this country, but I think most of all here in Kentucky. So as you know the team that gets a great run, makes no mistakes, and really wants it bad enough will receive the ultimate prize at the end, The National Championship.

  • Fire destroys home near Simpsonville

    A fire that may have started in a chimney destroyed a home at 573 Henry Smith Road near Simpsonville Tuesday. A tenant, Jessica Barnett, was home at the time the fire started, but she was not injured.

    Firefighters from Simpsonville, Shelby County and Eastwood fire departments fought the blaze. The fire was in the walls of the building when firefighters arrived on the scene just after 11 a.m. Tuesday, Simpsonville Fire Chief Walter Jones said.

  • Preliminary tests point to staph bacteria at Claudia Sanders

    The North Central Health District reported that preliminary tests indicate a common staph bacteria may have resulted in the 115 reported cases of illness from individuals who had eaten at Claudia Sanders restaurant Easter Sunday.

    The district stressed the findings were not definitive. Staphylococcus aureus, a bacteria commonly found on food and on the human body, was found in some samples provided by victims but not from all, the district said.