.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Storm aftermath slowly subsiding

    The ice continues to melt away, and the frozen trees with their glistening branches are just a memory. 

    But the storm's aftermath still lingers, both in ongoing power outages and with the school schedule.

    On Thursday, Shelby County School officials reported that students will have to go to school well into June,  that is, if there are no more snow days.

  • New week, new storm, new outages

    It was 'here we go again' Wednesday night as a severe wind storm  blew through Shelby County, knocking out power that just this week had been restored in some places.

    “First it was the ice storm, and now this,” Emergency Management Agency Director Charlie Frazee said.

    Although hundreds of residents were without power Wednesday night and Thursday morning, electricity had been restored to almost everyone by Thursday afternoon, power officials said.

  • School board to review plan

    Shelby County Schools Superintendent James Neihof says it's time to reassess some future plans for new campuses.

    And on Thursday the Shelby County Board of Education accepted his recommendation to determine if the district's interim Organizational Plan in the current District Facility Plan still is appropriate.

    The interim Organizational Plan calls for the new secondary school facility to house students in grades 8 and 9 from its opening year of 2010 through 2015.

  • July 4 fireworks may fizzle

    Unless a financial backer steps forward, the life flame of the annual 4th of July “Fireworks at the Park” celebration may burn out in 2009.

    “Basically, we’re cutting out the Fourth of July fireworks due to budgetary constraints,” Shelby County Parks and Recreation Director Clay Cottongim said. “We figured with the economy and budget constraints we needed to start looking at some cuts, and this is the first one.”

  • Fourth of July show is back on

    After the Shelby County Parks and Recreation Board announced last week that it wouldn’t have the funding to put on its annual Fourth of July Fireworks Celebration at Clear Creek Park this year, two major contributors came to the forefront to make their intentions clear: The show must go on.

    Gabriel and Tracy Giordano, owners of the Briar Rose Estate on Anderson Lane and residents of San Diego, California, came forward and offered to provide the fireworks for the event.

  • Huge tree falls on house

    Liz Kimbrough and her family were enjoying a quiet evening at home Wednesday night with a cozy fire in the grate when pandemonium suddenly broke loose.

    “I was standing in the kitchen, and all of a sudden I heard a great big 'whump!' and the house shook, and I thought a tornado had hit,” Jack Kimbrough said. “I took off for the basement, and Liz was right behind me.”

    But what they heard was not a tornado.

  • Some homes not ready to convert to digital TV

    Some homes not ready to convert to digital TV

    Scott McDaniel

  • Wind storm knocking out power in Shelby
  • SCHS to adopt 3-term calendar

    Shelby County High School will switch its school calendar next year from the semester schedule that has been in place for years to a 3-session structure, Shelby County High School Principal Michael Rowe said Friday.

    That new calendar, consisting of three 12-week sessions, was approved this week by the school's site-based decision-making council. That means this change does not require approval by the school board.

  • Niehof: We must move along our students

    James Neihof, Shelby County School superintendent, was the keynote speaker Tuesday at a luncheon for the Home Builders Association held at Claudia Sanders Dinner House.

    Neihof spoke about challenges in education, which includes building new schools to keep up with the county's growing student population.

    Neihof had brought along a sketch of the new secondary center for Shelby County Schools. The facility, as yet unnamed, to be located on Discovery Boulevard near Simpsonville on U.S. 60., is expected to open in 2010.