.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Creators of Edistyminen take special national award

    The East Middle School creative team behind the development of the future city of Edistyminen may not have made it into the top five for the National Engineers Week Future City Competition Finals, but that doesn’t mean it came home empty-handed.

    Just days ago, local eighth-graders Zach Brown, Logan Johnson and Sam Saarinen went on an all-expense-paid trip with volunteer engineer/mentor Tony Harover and volunteer coach Beth Dunn to present their future city design of Edistyminen to judges in Washington D.C.

  • Murder warrant issued in shooting

    The man who was wanted for questioning in Wednesday night's shooting of Joel Mena, 17, is now wanted for murder.

    Shelbyville Police said Friday that a murder warrant has been issued for Salomon Caballero Gomez, who they believe gunned down Mena in the middle in Shelbyville Wednesday night.

    Police say Gomez should be considered armed.

    Originally, police released the name of  Santiago Caballero, but they now believe that name to have been an alias.

  • Holiday Gift Guide
  • Obama's housing package: Will it help in Shelby?

    President Barack Obama announced a plan Wednesday that aims to help homeowners who are struggling to pay their mortgages and rescue the country’s declining housing market.

    Though there is rampant discussion about how well it might work, there is one consensus of opinion: It's too early to tell.

  • Teen killed; suspect still at-large

    A teen-ager is dead after being shot and killed  near downtown Shelbyville on Wednesday night, and police have not yet apprehended his killer.

    Joel Diego Mena, 17,  of Shelbyville died of a single gunshot wound after an altercation at the intersection of 9th and College Streets, near the old Northside Elementary School,  about 8 p.m., police said.

  • CASA needs new casa

    The organization that advocates for children who are in out-of-home care could use a home itself. Actually, a good-sized room will do.

    For the past year, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) for children has been housed in the basement of Dr. Dan Bowersox's optometry business on Washington Street in Shelbyville. By early April the organization needs to get out.

    "He's been wonderful to us, but he needs the space," CASA Director Beverly Hilger said. "He told us when he let us come in we would have to move eventually."

  • Youth gunned down Wednesday night

    Joel Diego Mena, 17, of Shelbyville, died Wednesday night after being shot near the intersection of College and 9th streets, police say.

    Mena was shot once with what police think was a 9 mm handgun. He was pronounced dead at Jewish Hospital Shelbyville around 9 p.m.

    Police have not arrested a suspect in the killing but are seeking Santiago Caballero, 22, of Shelbyville, for questioning, according to Shelbyville Police Chief Robert Schutte.

    He added that an autopsy will be preformed at the University of Louisville.

  • Storm aftermath slowly subsiding

    The ice continues to melt away, and the frozen trees with their glistening branches are just a memory. 

    But the storm's aftermath still lingers, both in ongoing power outages and with the school schedule.

    On Thursday, Shelby County School officials reported that students will have to go to school well into June,  that is, if there are no more snow days.

  • New week, new storm, new outages

    It was 'here we go again' Wednesday night as a severe wind storm  blew through Shelby County, knocking out power that just this week had been restored in some places.

    “First it was the ice storm, and now this,” Emergency Management Agency Director Charlie Frazee said.

    Although hundreds of residents were without power Wednesday night and Thursday morning, electricity had been restored to almost everyone by Thursday afternoon, power officials said.

  • School board to review plan

    Shelby County Schools Superintendent James Neihof says it's time to reassess some future plans for new campuses.

    And on Thursday the Shelby County Board of Education accepted his recommendation to determine if the district's interim Organizational Plan in the current District Facility Plan still is appropriate.

    The interim Organizational Plan calls for the new secondary school facility to house students in grades 8 and 9 from its opening year of 2010 through 2015.