.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Features

Photo courtesy of Filson Historical Society
Willie Brandt

Berlin and Mayor Brandt

From Bonn, the de facto capital of the Federal Republic of Germany, we were flown into West Berlin, then an Allied portion of a divided city. West Berlin was separated by 100 miles from the eastern border of West Germany and only accessible by land by narrow rail and highway corridors. It consisted of the American, British, and French occupation sectors established in 1945. It was, however, a de facto part of West Germany. At the same time, East Berlin, occupied and administered by the Soviet Union, was the de facto capital of East Germany.

...Advertisement...