Sarah Raizor and Chelsea Ashbaugh have a word for their kinship – “twusins!”
They hold a unique gift of being born on the same day – Aug. 25, 1996 – to a pair of sisters. Moms Tammy Raizor and Julie Ashbaugh delivered their daughters four hours apart, in two different hospitals, 16 years ago. They arrived measuring 7 pounds each, and both were 20 inches long.
Their dual birth was front-page news in The Sentinel-News,and the cousins, both students at Shelby County High School, have grown up sharing a special day.
Shelbyville Historic District Coordinator Gail Reed will step away from her post at the end of the month. Since taking over in Shelbyville in April of 2000, Reed has watched several historic buildings be remade and brought back from near devastation and others torn down.
There are millions of ways to stay fit, trim and healthy and all include watching your diet and maintaining proper nutrition. However, there are very few exercises that are as accessible and easy on the body as bicycling.
Every year for the past 16 years, a small but select group of men, most of them from Shelby County, has gathered on Lake Barkley for a not-so-unusual practice: fishing for a few days and sharing stories about life and sports.
That these men first met more than 40 years ago may not be odd, either. That they were together but for a scant few of those years, when most of them were boys, is the twist.
When Andrea and George Cottrell received a van from Shelby County Community Charities last year, they knew they wouldn’t have it forever.
And when Andrea Cottrell met Ava King, a 7-year-old at Clear Creek Elementary School who suffers from Cerebral Palsy, heart conditions and epilepsy, she said she knew where the van eventually would go.
With a little bit of “Queen Anne” and a dash of “Colonial Revival,” Kerry and Debbie Magan’s 110-year-old home on Main Street in Shelbyville has almost as much personality as its owners.
Located at 1174 Main St., the was built by Jno A. Middleton for his son, James Fulton Middleton, after purchasing the property in 1901 from J.T. and Mary E. Logan. After building the home, Middleton then constructed the house next door to it, currently owned by Phil and Chris Hayes, for his daughter.