- Special Sections
- Public Notices
After a 4-2 vote, the Shelbyville City Council approved a revised schedule of rates and charges for Shelbyville water and sewer Thursday.
The ordinance calls for city water rates to increase by 5.8 percent, and sewage rates by 4.5 percent.
Tom Doyle, manager of Shelbyville Municipal Water and Sewer, stated that the increases would bring in the revenue necessary to balance the budget for the Municipal Waterworks and Sewer System.
"It's important that the commission has the financial ability to keep the system up to standards and the infrastructure current," Doyle said. "And to continue to meet all EPA guidelines with their increased testing and requirements."
Doyle said a single elderly person uses approximately 2,000 gallons of water a month. If they are on water and sewer, he said, their bill would be around a dollar more each month.
A normal household uses about 5,000 gallons a month, and their monthly increase would be around $1.76, he said. However, the exact dollar figure is based on the amount of water you use.
With the increase in effect, the commission will be able to avoid having to borrow money and going in debt.
The first reading of the ordinance was approved at the council's Nov. 20 meeting. Before voting for the second time Thursday, several of the council members said that they understand the water commission's need for the increase, but they also understand the tough recessionary times the country is in. After a 4-2 vote, the new rates were approved, effective on citizens' Feb. 1 bill.
Also at the meeting, the council:
* Signed off to pay the final payment of $600 for the competed project of renovating the Presbyterian Manse building for use as the Shelbyville Welcome/History Center and making the facility handicap accessible.
* Approved the second and final reading of an ordinance that is addressed every year -- enacting and adopting a supplement to the code of ordinances of the city of Shelbyville, according to the American Legal Publishing Corporation's recommendations.
* Approved the re-appointments of:
* Mike Harrod to Shelbyville/Shelby County Park/Recreation Board (Term 4 yrs.) to 12/31/2012.
* Jamie Swindler to Housing Authority Board (Term 4 yrs.) to 1/1/2013.
* Dr. Paul Schmidt to Board of Ethics (Term 3 yrs.) to 12/31/2011.
* Donald Cubert, Sr. to E-911 Board (Term 3 yrs.) to 1/1/2012.
* Donna Eaton to E-911 Board (Term 3 yrs.) to 1/1/2012.
* Alan Matthews to Recreation Committee (Term 3 yrs.) to 12/31/2011.
* Donald Cubert, Sr. to Recreation Committee (Term 3 yrs.) to 12/31/2011.
* Vance Burnett to Recreation Committee (Term 3 yrs.) 12/31/2011.
* Melvin Moffett to City Tree Board (Term 3 yrs.) to 1/1/2012.
* Cecilia Piccinni to City Tree Board (Term 3 yrs.) to 1/1/2012.
* Approved the appointment of Dudley Bottom to complete George Best's unexpired term on the Triple S Planning and Zoning Commission (Term 4 yrs.) to 12/31/2009.
* Approved the release of mortgage on property owned by Betty Harris, as Harris has satisfied the conditions of the mortgage.