.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Two families left homeless by fires within 24 hours

-A A +A

Woman on A Street in Shelbyville was burned rescuing child from flames

By Lisa King

Two Shelbyville families have lost their homes to fires within a 24-hour period, one on Sunday morning and the other on Monday morning, fire officials say.

Previous
Play
Next

In Sunday’s blaze at Marshall’s Terrace, a woman received burns while rescuing her 3-year old from the blaze, Shelbyville Fire Chief Bobby Cowherd said.

“She was cuddling the child in her arms to get through the flames,” he said.

Cowherd said he does not know the condition of Sheyla Garcia, who sustained first- and second-degree burns and was transported to Jewish Hospital Shelbyville.

Shelby County Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Ivers said that Garcia was later transferred to the burn unit at the University of Louisville, but he does not think her injuries are life threatening.

“She was conscious and talking at the scene,” he said.

The fire broke out at 10:15 a.m. Sunday at 212 A. St., and SCFD Sgt. Marc Myres said the four adults and two children, ages 3 and 5, all escaped the mobile home.

He said an elderly woman who lived next to the burning mobile home was evacuated during the incident because of smoke being generated by the fire. Crews were able to keep the flames from spreading to other structures. Garcia’s home was a total loss, he said.

Shelby County Fire Department Investigator Maj. Andy White said the cause of the fire was electrical in nature and started in the children’s bedroom.

But no one was injured on Monday at 222 9th St., although the family who lived there, the Jones, were left homeless after fire destroyed their single-family home, Shelbyville Fire Chief Willard “Tiger” Tucker said.

He said this house at the corner of College and 9th streets erupted in flames at about 1 a.m. and that all four family members evacuated without incident or injury. He said his crews have not determined the cause of the blaze, but he said he thinks it  was accidental.

Angela Roberts, service center manager with the American Red Cross, said she has been working with both families to determine their needs.