.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Triple S Planning Commission: McDonald’s set for first store update

-A A +A

Issac Shelby Drive location will get changes first; Governor’s Square is scheduled for August

By Todd Martin

The McDonald’s on Isaac Shelby Drive will get a facelift to start the new year.

Representatives from McDonald’s and American Engineering were on hand Tuesday night to discuss the renovation, which was approved unanimously by the Triple S Planning Commission.

Along with a complete redesign of the interior, this store will add 258 square feet, renovate the existing building, add a second drive-through lane and rework the parking lot to improve traffic flow.

“The addition of the second drive-through lane, along with widening the entrance and moving the Dumpsters, will allow us to greatly improve the traffic flow,” said Kenny Ott of American Engineering’s Louisville office. “We also plan to add a landscape island with several trees.”

The renovation of the building and the parking area may cost the restaurant a “couple parking spaces,” but Ott said that was acceptable because of the increased flow of traffic.

The store frequently has traffic backed out onto Isaac Shelby Drive during lunch and dinner rushes.

The time frame for the project will be a few weeks, but store managers plan to keep the drive-through open during renovations.

The stores, both owned by franchisee Rick Peter of Shepherdsville,arebeing renovated and rebuilt to represent the new updates that McDonald’s has requested from it’s store ownersand to help with the traffic flow and service for customers.

In 2011, the chain announced a $1 billion-plus makeover that the company and its franchisees hope will leave the 14,000-plus stores more comfortable and conducive to hanging out. The long-term plan is to have all the renovations completed by 2015.

The nationwide upgrades include wooden tables, faux-leather chairs, more subtle colors like muted yellows and oranges and, especially important for this location, doubling the drive-thru lanes.

Representatives also noted that the store in Governor’s Square on the east end of Shelbyville is scheduled to begin its tear-down, rebuilding and lot changes in August. The timeframe for that project will be about 80 days, and the project plan was not presented.

Budget approved

The commission also unanimously approved the 2013 budget. The balanced budget has just less than $207,000 in income, with the majority coming from a projected $80,000 in permits and $82,000 in transfers.

The largest portion of the expenses consists of about $108,000 in salary for the 3-person staff.

Executive Director Ryan Libke said the commission’s incomes on are on the rise as the recession slows down and construction begins to resume in the county.

“We did have a better year than last year,” he said.

2013 meeting dates

The commission will continue to meet on the same schedule in 2013, every third Tuesday of the month, at 6:30 p.m. in the Stratton Center. Those dates are:

  • Jan. 15
  • Feb. 19
  • March 19
  • April 16
  • May 21
  • June 18
  • July 16
  • Aug. 20
  • Sept. 17
  • Oct. 15
  • Nov. 19
  • Dec. 17

Also at the meeting, the commission:

  • Approved the transcript and findings of fact for the zone change request at 204 Sunset Way. The commission recommended that the requested change from Commercial (C-2) to Residential (R-3, single-family) be approved. The recommendation will be sent to Shelby County Fiscal Court for its decision.
  • Approved a bond release of $4,300 for Meadowbrook subdivision.
  • Heard in a report from Libke that the staff is continuing to research lighting standards from other cities, and they hope to have something for the commission soon. “We’re close to bringing something for you to look at,” he said. Libke also noted that the staff is continuing to work on Comprehensive Plan updates, and he hopes to advertise some public meetings early next year.