.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Simpsonville FD saves barn

-A A +A
By Lisa King

Because of the quick response time qetting to a fire, Simpsonville firefighters were able to save a barn on Scott Station Road, Fire Chief Walter Jones said.

“We did a very good job getting there in a timely manner, and were able to confine the fire to an 8 X 8 foot corner of the barn,” he said. “Timing was everything on saving this barn.”

The fire was called in at about 7:30 p.m. Thursday night at the residence of Ralph Peed at 1205 Scott Station Road, Jones said.

He added that the fire was apparently caused by an electrical wire that had been blown loose by a strong gust of wind.

Another factor in being able to extinguish the fire quickly was the farmer’s quick action.

“The wind was blowing gusts of 25 miles per hour…the property owner saw it and called us right away,” the chief said.

No one was injured in the incident and no property was destroyed in the barn, which was empty of tobacco at the time, Jones said.

The barn did suffer minor damage in one corner.