Shooting victim's family hires attorney

-A A +A

Trey Williams, 18, died at Jewish Hospital after incident Saturday afternoon.

By Stephanie Doyle

The family of Trey Williams, the Shelbyville teenager shot and killed Saturday at his grandmother's home, have hired a prominent Louisville attorney.


Frank Mascagni, a 35-year criminal and civil law attorney, says he wants to gather "non-sterilized" facts about the case.

On Sunday, Kentucky State Police identified two Shelbyville Police officers as being involved in the shooting: Suzanna Marcum and Frank Willoughby.

Marcum is a 17-year veteran of the Shelbyville PD, and Frank Willoughby has been with the department for six years.

Turley released no further details in the death of Williams, a recent Shelby County High School graduate and former Rockets basketball playe who died just after 2 p.m. Saturday while police were investigating a call at the home of his grandmother, Dorothy Farris, at 100 Clifton Ct. in Shelbyville.

Williams was transported to Jewish Hospital Shelbyville, where he died, police said.

Marcum and Willooughby were injured during a confrontation with Williams and also were transported and treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

State police say shots were fired, but at this time it's not clear how many or who fired the shots.

Shelbyville Police Chief Robert Schutte said Saturday that he had turned over the investigation to Kentucky State Police.

Schutte said both officers were placed on administrative leave in accordance with departmental policy. He confirmed that no members of the KSP were involved in the shooting.

Williams had been playing basketball with friends at Clear Creek Park from early Saturday afternoon, when he got into a dispute with another player and departed. And then the details of his whereabouts became odd.

Starting at 1:41, Shelbyville Police dispatch got a call about a person breaking out car windows at Hometown Pizza on Midland Trail and then walking along Midland Trail. Turley said Sunday that at 1:44, dispatchers recevied a second call that the same subject had broken out a window on Clifton Court.

At 1:47 the two officers arrived at Clifton Court, and at 2:07 there was a dispatch about an officer down. Turley said two officers had been injured by being struck by the suspect with a pipe. EMS transported all three to JHS.

“He [Williams] assaulted the officers with the pipe,” Turley said. “They responded. If an officer at any time feels threatened, he has the right to respond with deadly force.”

Williams’ extended family, friends and neighbors crowded around the houses along Clifton Court, passing along information and waiting to hear details from investigators, expressing shock and disbelief by what had happened.

Farris said she was at a church meeting in Frankfort when a neighbor called to tell her someone was breaking into her house. When she arrived home around 3 p.m., she learned that her grandson was dead.

“I went to the hospital and found out my daughter was there, her sister was there and my grandson was dead,” she said. “It’s not right. They [police] are supposed to support the law.

“There’s all this dope out here, and they [police] don’t come when we call them. Then they come kill this child. You think that’s right?”

She vowed to pursue the answers in this shooting, saying the truth would come out. “They’ve taken something I love,” she said, her voice loud with outrage.

Lynn Farris, Trey Williams’ cousin, said the family was very close, that he had a key to his grandmother’s house and often slept there. She said he had a job at Dairy Queen and was planning to go to college.

The son of Gardiner and Stephanie Williams, Trey Williams had played basketball for the Rockets in 2010-11 and was a longtime friend and teammate of Boomer Beckley, one of those who had been playing with him on Saturday afternoon.

“We’ve been playing together in AAU ball since we were 13,” Beckley said, who now plays for Spaulding University and is home for Thanksgiving break. “He was there about 12:30 and left about 1:15 or so. He got mad. A dude said something to him, and he said he had better leave because he might have to fight. I tried to get him to stay. And now this happened so fast.”

Beckley said he didn’t know of any reason that Williams might have gotten in to a conflict with police. “He’s just a regular guy,” he said.

Many others agreed, saying that Williams was a good guy.

“I’ve never known Trey to be in trouble. This just breaks my heart,” said Tammy Roberts, whose son, the same age as the Trey, was playing basketball with him about an hour before the shooting. “He is from a wonderful well-known family.”

But as recently as Nov. 14, Trey Williams had been arrested and charged with second degree disorderly conduct after an incident at Dairy Queen. He bonded out at 1:05 p.m. on Nov. 15. His court appearance schedule was not available.

Turley said the investigation is continuing.

Steve Doyle and Lisa King of The Sentinel-News staff contributed to this report.