School bus accident sends 3 students to hospital

-A A +A

Bus runs into guardrail on Frankfort Road

By Lisa King

Three students were hospitalized Thursday morning after a Shelby County school bus hit a guardrail as it negotiated a turn on its way to school.

The accident happened as the driver was pulling out from Hempridge Road onto U.S. 60 heading west toward west and caught the rear bumper of the bus on the guardrail.

About 20 students were on bus No. 2259. Shelby County EMS responded to the accident and checked out all the students on the bus and transported three of them, two middle school students and one high school student, to Jewish Hospital Shelbyville. Gary Kidwell, director of student accounting and support services for Shelby County Public Schools, went along to provide support for the students and their parents.

He said in a statement that the three students were treated and released from the hospital's emergency room at about 10:15 a.m.

"There were no serious injuries; students were told they would simply be sore for a few days," he said.

George Blakeman, transportation coordinator for the school system, also said in the statement that parents of all 20 students on the bus were notified of the accident and that "All appreciated the phone call and were quite understanding of the situation," he said.

Another student complained of soreness after being in school, and his parents were notified to follow with medical treatment, said Duanne Puckett, community relations coordinator.

Blakeman said the incident was not weather-related and that the bus did not receive major damage from colliding with the guardrail. The bus driver, Titus Bishop, 57, of Shelbyville, has been employed by the school district since 2002 and handled the situation according to procedures, Blakeman said.

Bishop was also treated at the hospital, according to KSP.

The bus was able to complete its route to East Middle School and Shelby County High School.

Kentucky State Police officers who worked the accident referred questions to their public information officer, who was unavailable for comment.