KSP closes probe in shooting of teen

-A A +A

Family, newspaper wait for files to be released

By Lisa King

More than two weeks after a Shelby County Grand Jury ruled that a Shelbyville Police officer was justified in shooting and killing a teen in his grandmother’s home, the investigation has been closed.
Kentucky State Police Det. Ben Wolcott had said after the grand jury ruled Jan. 4 that he expected to wrap up the investigation into the shooting of 19-year-old Trey Williams by Shelbyville Police officer Suzanna Marcum that week, but that has stretched two more weeks.

KSP clerk Shiann Sharp said Wednesday that she has just received the file and had to sort through it before she could honor public records requests.

“I just got it from post today [Wednesday], and I have not had a chance to go through it yet, because it is huge,” she said.

The Sentinel-Newshas filed a request under state open-records laws for the contents of those files and since early last month has pursued from 911 officials in Shelby County the transcripts of the 911 communications on Nov. 19, the date of the incident.

The newspaper will file a complaint with attorney general’s office because 911 officials as of Thursday had not provided the files or replied to more recent queries, which attorneys believe should have been made available.

Last week, toxicology and autopsy results were turned over to attorneys retained by the Williams family.

But Sheldon L. Haden, an attorney with the Oldfather law firm from Louisville, said Thursday that KSP still had not honored its the public records request for the entire file.

“The state police say they still can’t give us a copy of that yet, so we are still in a holding pattern, waiting for that,” she said.

Last week, attorney Ann Oldfather explained that the Kentucky State Police has two sources of records.

“The coroner had the autopsy and toxicology reports, and KSP has everything else,” she said. “They [KSP] have the statements of the officers, they have the evidence that was collected at the scene, they have the photographs. That’s what we’re having a hard time getting.”

Williams, a former athlete at Shelby County High School, was shot and killed at his grandmother’s home during a confrontation with police. At that time, Marcum and her partner, Frank Willoughby, responded to a 911 call and entered the home because a window was found broken out, and they suspected the house had been broken into.

Once inside, they said they were confronted by Williams, a 230-pound man, who began swinging a pipe and other items at the officers. They used Tasers to try to subdue him, to no avail, and when Willoughby was incapacitated, Marcum shot him, said Ron Turley, a spokesperson for KSP, which was charged with investigating the shooting.

The Williams family has been expressing a desire all along to see the records, or at least to get some answers on why the police felt it necessary to shoot and kill their son, and Haden said they continue to wait but have not viewed the autopsy report.

“Quite frankly, we told them not to look at it,” she said. “We just  of summarized it for them, because it’s never a good thing for parents to read the autopsy report for their child, especially in a violent killing.”

Haden added that she would rather not comment about the toxicology or autopsy reports yet.

“We’d rather wait until we have the entire report,” she said.