.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

House damaged by fire caused by lightning strike

-A A +A

Firefighter and homeowner slightly injured

By Lisa King

Two people were injured when a  home in the eastern portion of the county caught fire after being struck by lightning Saturday night, fire officials reported.

A Shelby County firefighter, Robert Purvis, was transported to Jewish Hospital Shelbyville, where he was treated and released for a minor knee injury. He is fine and is already back on duty, Fire Chief Bobby Cowherd said.

Homeowner Barbara Rogers was also taken to the hospital with chest pains, but she also has been released.

Captain Eddie Whitworth with the Shelby County Fire Department  said when he arrived at the house at 393 Cranbourne Grange Road, home of David and Barbara Rogers, smoke was coming from the eaves and roof of the house. He checked the garage and discovered fire there and in the attic.

Whitworth determined that the cause of the fire was a lightning strike to a metal pipe that went through the attic into the garage, starting the fire.

Firefighters battled the fire, which occurred at about 8:30 p.m., and had it under control by 9:06 p.m. Damage was contained to the garage and attic.

Six fire units responded to the blaze, with a total of 40 firefighters.

The report by the Shelby County Fire Department says the couple stated they were in a building behind the house when they heard the smoke detectors at the house going off.

When they went to investigate, they found the fire and called 911.