.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Garage heavily damaged by fire

-A A +A
By Lisa King

Fire caused heavy damage to a garage at a residence on Shelbyville Road just west of before Shelbyville early Monday afternoon.

The home owner, Renee Simon, said she was working in the backyard when the fire broke out.

"I just flipped on the light in there, and the ceiling light started melting," she said. "I called the fire department quick because there is a gas stove hooked up in there."

The Shelby County Fire Department responded to the scene and got the fire under control. Shelbyville Road was closed for about an hour while firefighters battled the blaze.

Simon said she was glad it was the garage and not the house that caught fire, but was disappointed at losing some personal possessions stored in the building's top floor.

"Well, there went my Christmas decorations and some of my daughter's stuff," she said.