- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Here are five of my thoughts on Sunday afternoon:
1. I laugh at Joe Lunardi having Kentucky among his "First Four Out." Unless the Wildcats lose at Georgia, get blown out by Florida, then lose their first game in the SEC Tournament I don't think there's any way they are left out of the NCAA Tournament. Ever since Nerlens Noel's injury I thought UK would play in the "First Four" at Dayton, Ohio. The NCAA Selection Committee isn't stupid and it knows that Big Blue Nation would gobble up tickets for that game. Personally I'd love to see UK play North Carolina in a "First Four" game.
2. Big win by Louisville yesterday. I see the Cardinals as a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament. However it may be more important for them to win the Big East tourney. That's because four of the last six champions of the conference tournament have advanced to the Final Four, including UofL last season.
3. The Cornerstone Christian boys' basketball team finished as the runner-up in the Kentucky Christian Athletic Association State Tournament, which ended yesterday. Congrats to the Bulldogs on a great season.
4. South Oldham won the boys' 8th Region Tournament last night. That just gives even more credence to my statement in Friday's paper that the tourney should have just been called after the Collins-South Oldham game. The record books will say that the Dragons beat Oldham County in the final, but in my mind the 8th Region final will always be Oldham County 85, Collins 82 in OT.
5. As for the boys' Sweet 16 it looks like it's Ballard's tournament to lose. The Bruins should be the overwhelming favorite. In my bracket I've got the Bruins facing off against Madison Central in the state final. However I do think a semifinal game between Montgomery County (where Shelby County transfer Bryan Wallace plays) and Ballard could be very interesting.