.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Family left homeless in Mount Eden Fire

-A A +A

Cause of blaze is chimney fire

By Lisa King

Firefighters from three departments battled desparately to save the home of a Mount Eden family in the predawn hours Saturday, but the blaze destroyed the structure, officials said.

Previous
Play
Next

Mount Eden firefighter Tim Herndon said that the call came in at 3:48 about a house fire in the 7600 block of Mount Eden Road, at the home of Walter Chesser. The fire started in the chimney, he said, and the family, after calling 911, also tried to put the fire out, to no avail.

The older, 2-story house sat atop a hill, Herndon said, a fact that that hampered firefighters when they arrived because of swirling and blowing snow and an extremely slippery hill.

"It was the worst I've ever seen; it was near blizzard conditions," he said. "The problem was it so hard to get up the hill."

Herndon said he does not know where the family is staying but that they are being assisted by the Red Cross.

No one was injured in that the blaze, but Herndon's brother, Mount Eden Fire Chief Doug Herndon, is hospitalized from an injury he received in fire on the Spencer County side of Mount Eden on Tuesday.

Herndon fell through the floor of the house, broke his foot and leg in several places and has been undergoing surgeries at Baptist East Hospital in Jefferson County.

Tim Herndon said he is expected to return home soon.