- Special Sections
- Public Notices
When the Shelby County School Board meets Thursday night, it will consider approving outdoor athletic facilities for the Martha Layne Collins High School that is now under construction.
The board chose from one of two designs submitted by the architectural firm for the project, Sherman-Carter-Barnhart. The firm has created bidding documents to break out baseball, softball, tennis and soccer practice areas as alternatives that will allow the board to select which pieces to be included in the construction. The football stadium will also serve as the primary soccer field with track.
The board needs to approve the matter by Thursday so that bids can be in by October. The football package could then be completed by August 2010 and the baseball/softball package by January 2011.
Also at the meeting, the board will also decide whether or not to purchase what is called Measures of Academic Progress (MAP), which is a monitoring assessment tool that would replace Scanton and would allow the district to track groups of students or individuals for intervention or enrichment programs.
Other agenda items include the following:
* Extending the agreement with Shelby County/Shelbyville Parks on services provided at the Athletic Complex to July 1, 2010
* New job description: Intervention teacher (elementary)
* Board policy 09.3 to allow Shelby County High School Band to participate in a Sunday activity (July 12)
* Board policy 09.3 to allow West Middle School cheerleaders to participate in a Sunday activity (July 19)
* The board will also be asked to accept a positive first reading of new and revised SCPS Board Policies and review new and revised administrative procedures.
The board will meet at Central Office on Main Street at 7 p.m. The public is invited to attend.