- Special Sections
- Public Notices
Shelby County Farmers’ Market
returns April 27 to fairgrounds
The Shelby County Farmers' Market will return April 27 for another season at the Shelby County Fairgrounds.
The market will be open from 8 a.m. to noon each Saturday through October at the Coots Barn at 1513 Midland trail.
The market again will feature Shelby County area vendors who will make available fresh produce of many kinds, eggs, jams, jellies, baked goods, honey, cut flowers, perennials, shrubs and trees, as well as handmade soap, jewelry, pottery, yarn goods, and more.
This year there even will be live music from the "Farmer's Market Jammers."
For more information, you can find and like the market organizers on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Shelby-County-Kentucky-Farmers-Market/173755406108757?fref=ts.
FSA announces programs
The Farm Service Agency office in Shelby County announced two major programs for farmers and landowners:
§ The FSA’s County Committees and State Committee will conduct their annual review of double-cropping practices in the area. Approved double-cropping occurs when the specific combination of crops is recommended by the COC and approved by the STC and when the two specific crops have the capability to be planted and carried to maturity for the intended use as reported by the producer, on the same acreage within a crop year under normal growing conditions. Some exceptions are allowed. The complete list of current double-cropping practices approved by the Kentucky STC is available at the FSA Service Center, 65 Breighton Blvd. Ste 1, Shelbyville or by calling 502-633-3294.
§ The FSA’s Farm Storage Facility Loan Program allows producers of eligible commodities to obtain low-interest financing to build or upgrade farm storage and handling facilities. The new maximum principal amount of a loan through FSFL is $500,000. The program supports traditional farm storage such as grain bins, as well as cold storage facilities to store their fresh fruits and vegetables. To be eligible, cold storage facilities must have a useful life of 15 years and include suitable cold storage, coolers, cooling systems and include modified storage facility. Participants are required to provide a down payment of 15 percent, with CCC providing a loan for the remaining 85 percent of the net cost of the eligible storage facility and permanent drying and handling equipment. New loan terms of 7, 10 or 12 years are available depending on the amount of the loan. For more information about FSFL please visit your FSA local office or www.fsa.usda.gov.
Farmer of Year applications
The 2013 Kentucky Farm Bureau “Farmer of the Year” is accepting applications. Candidates will be reviewed for their commitment to excellence in agriculture, efficiency in farming practices, sound financial management and outstanding leadership in their county Farm Bureau and other civic organizations. Eligibility and guidelines are included with the application, and can be downloaded at kyfb.com/federation/. All applications must be postmarked by July 1.
KFB’s “Farmer of the Year” will receive $1,000 from Kentucky Farm Bureau Federation and will be presented with a commemorative award during the organization’s annual meeting in December. State finalists will receive $250 from Kentucky Farm Bureau Federation.
The winner will represent Kentucky in the south’s Farmer of the Year contest and be eligible for prizes up to $15,000.
The Kentucky Ag Report is compiled weekly from news releases distributed by Keeton Communications, the Kentucky Press News Service.