- Special Sections
- Public Notices
A fire Sunday afternoon destroyed a mobile home at 320 B Street in Marshall Terrace, a mobile home park in the Hi Point area off Washington Street.
Shelby County Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Ivers said the 911 call came in 1:07 p.m., and heavy smoke and fire were pouring out of the trailer when firefighters arrived.
He said all of the occupants of the home were outside except for one person, who came out shortly after firefighters arrived.
“The occupant was found to have lacerations on his forearm and was transported by Shelby County EMS to Jewish Hospital Shelbyville,” he said.
Firefighters also rescued the family dog from the mobile home, which was given oxygen by firefighters and EMS workers.
Shelby County Animal Control assisted with transporting the dog to the animal shelter. Several kittens that were under the mobile home were removed with no injuries.
The mobile home, which was owned by Patricia Jefferson, received was a total loss.
Fire crews were able to prevent the fire from spreading to the neighboring mobile homes on both sides.
Ivers said firefighters remained on the scene until 4 p.m. and that the Red Cross was on hand, both to assist the residents and the firefighters to keep them from getting overheated in the 90-degree temperatures.
Major Andy White, fire investigator for the Shelby County Fire Department, was on the scene investigating the fire. Ivers said the Jeffersons told White that they had had electrical issues earlier in the day.
Investigation found the fire was electrical in nature and started around the dryer receptacle. A smoke detector was found in the home but no batteries were in the detector.